Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wednesday Update

So thankful for a wonderful first half of the week! So far this week I have worked with our preschoolers, first graders, second graders, third graders, fifth graders, sixth graders, seventh graders, and eighth graders. I was so excited this week when I walked into our second grade classroom and saw that the teacher was using two different strategies that I had taught during last week’s professional development class! I’m so thankful for the opportunity to work and serve with these teachers. They are so open to learning new things, which is an answer to many prayers.

2nd Grade Classroom
1st grade with their new 100 chart
Playing Bananagrams en Español
Playing Bananagrams en Español to practice letter sounds, letter recognition, and syllables

We love bananagrams!

My fourth grade friend Darlenys
On Tuesday I also had a wonderful conversation with my neighbor Milo. Milo lives with his family (children and grandchildren) in the house nextdoor to mine. He was so excited to see that another North American missionary had moved in to the house. He invited me out to see his fields and his pigs one day soon and so generously told me “Todo que tenemos en casa es suyo,” or “Everything in our home is yours.” I love the friendliness of the Dominican people!

On Tuesday night I got to skype for over an hour with my sister and brother-in-law, Steph and Joel. I know I often say this, but I don’t think most of you take it seriously: I love hearing from home!! Skype calls, emails, letters, facebook comments, blog responses – all of it reminds me of home and helps me remember that I am here as a small representation of a much larger group of supporters, friends and family who believe in and are supporting the work of God here in Monte Plata.

Skyping with Steph and Joel

Water bottles ready for our "Agua de Vida" lesson
Wednesday’s girls Bible study class was awesome. Our lesson was about the Samaritan woman. She met Jesus, learned about Jesus, put her faith in Jesus, and then told others about Jesus. I asked the girls to think about where they fall within those four steps. Have they met Jesus and learned about Him? I know that they all have since their teachers talk to them about Jesus every single day. But the important question is – have they put their faith in Jesus? And if they have, are they sharing Him with others? I then used an illustration to emphasize the idea that Jesus gives us living water. I had two containers – one heart with Jesus and one heart without Jesus. I began to try to fill the heart without Jesus. Each cup I poured in represented something we try to fill our lives with: family, friends, success, good grades, popularity, talents, material things, good works, etc. Each glass that I poured made the water turn a little cloudier, until all we had was a container full of dirty water. The container also had several holes in it and the girls laughed as I unsuccessfully tried to keep it full as it was leaking all over the place. This illustration represented the idea that our hearts are naturally dirty, sinful places that can never be full or be clean due to our own efforts. Then I took the container that represented a heart with Jesus. I poured in cup after cup of clean water representing salvation, joy, peace, purpose, forgiveness, mercy, grace, etc. And amazingly, none of the water leaked out! This represented the idea that when we are Christians, we have hearts that are made new, made full, and made clean in Christ.

Water to represent a heart with and without Christ
Containers to represent a heart with and without Christ

Please pray for the following girls who stayed after class to talk with a leader.
Madelin – very close to a salvation decision, told me she wants to think about it tonight and talk to me again tomorrow
Rosaris – accepted Jesus today!! Praise the Lord!!
Genesis – accepted Jesus on Thursday when she came to school!! Praise the Lord!!
Silenkircy – spoke with a leader today about what it means to be a Christian, keep praying
Elianny - spoke with a leader today about what it means to be a Christian, keep praying

On Wednesday afternoon I also got to spend time at Casa Monte Plata. James and Rebekah were out of town for the afternoon and asked if I could come over and have their house open from 3:00-5:00 for homework help. I got to hang out with seven or eight of the kids as they cycled through to use the two laptops that belong to Casa Monte Plata. Lali and I worked on her long division for a while together. Solange and Selena came by to clean the house (they help around the directors’ house to earn some extra allowance money). It was just a nice, relaxing afternoon with some of my favorite kiddos. 


Hanging out, doing homework, and cleaning



No comments:

Post a Comment