Thursday, September 12, 2013

Beautiful Day

Today was such a wonderful day. I arrived at school this morning and found out that our kids were receiving their new shoes today! This is a BIG deal! Every year, an American family purchases a new pair of socks and shoes for EVERY student at our school. This family has been providing the funding for this gift for the past ten years. And according to our cooks, this family has never actually been to Monte Plata. I really wish they could have been around today to see the excitement for themselves. As I was teaching math today, I continually had to say "Yes, I see your new shoes and they are so beautiful. But you need to put them in your backpack now because it's time to learn some math." Everyone was just so excited!!

Lots of shoes - and this isn't even all of them! We're making another trip to the capital soon to buy the rest. 
1st grade cuties with their new shoes

Benjamin - this 1st grader has a special place in my heart already


Walking back to class with our new shoes!

Our school director Deborah 

Pearl and Nicol - both in 2nd grade

Isn't she the sweetest?!
These second grade girls melt you heart

The girls kept smelling their BRAND new socks - not something most American kids would do. 

6th grade girls and their new shoes

Beautiful


I also had a wonderful day teaching math. In sixth grade, our students were working on identifying prime and composite numbers. I brought along some plastic squares and we tried making rectangular arrays to prove whether each number was prime or composite. Then in fifth grade, we were working on expanded notation of numbers up to 1,000,000. On day two of teaching this concept, the students were completing their work independently and making posters. I’m excited because the school director told me that she’s going to build me a Math Wall where I can display students’ work for everyone to see. Hooray for a math wall!!!


6th grade math class

Some kiddos at recess

Rectangular arrays 

Rectangular arrays

Expanded notation in 5th grade

We got to have a boys-only class while the girls were getting their shoes - So Fun!



This afternoon I had three Dominican friends over for coffee after work. Luz and Dani are both cooks here at the school. I’m telling you – their work is a HUGE labor of love! Each day they prepare breakfast and lunch for some very hungry kids. And they do it with a smile, with a laugh, and while singing praises to Jesus every day. We also don’t use disposable plates, cups, silverware, etc. So they also supervise the washing, drying, and storing of a LOT of plates, cups, serving dishes, and spoons every day.  It takes a team of about 10-15 kids, plus Luz, Dani, and their kitchen helpers about an hour to wash all the dishes every day. These ladies are rockstars. Luz’s daughter Lucy is a volunteer aide in the preschool class here. So after work, Luz, Dani, and Lucy came over for coffee. It still amazes me that Dominicans can drink hot coffee when it is so hot that sweat is literally dripping off your face and onto the floor. But they do it! We sat and talked and enjoyed each other’s company and I felt like a very Dominican hostess.

Tonight, we began our OANSA ministry (known as AWANA to all of you in the States). We had so much fun with all these beautiful kiddos. We meet every Thursday night here on the school property to study and memorize God’s Word. And let me tell you, these kids are so excited about it!! I’m so blessed to have the opportunity to help! 


The playground before OANSA










I love all the color in this picture!

I love all the color in this picture!


Music time - the man in the red is our leader Jorge


No comments:

Post a Comment